In this week’s 5 Best Books we are asked to list our Five Best Books of 2011 (so far). I don’t really read that many newly published books. So, this will not really be a list of books that have been published this year. Rather this is the list of the top 5 books that I have read so far this year.
1. Detective Stories. Philip Pullman. (1998)
2. Very Good, Jeeves. P. G. Wodehouse. (1930)
3. The Diary of a Nobody. George Grossmith. (1892)
4. The Ninth Life of Louis Drax. Liz Jensen. (2004)
5. Mrs Lirriper’s Lodgings. Charles Dickens. (1863)
Of the top 5 books two were published during the Victorian era, one during the early part of the 20th century & one in the latter part of it and only one in this millennium. I think this is a pretty good statement about my reading habits. I prefer books published before the 1960’s. I do read modern books but only occasionally.