This week’s Booking Through Thursday asks:
“If you had to pick only 5 books to read ever again, what would they be and why?’
(Such a cruel question!)”
Oh boy! This is one of my worst nightmares come true!
Okay so I think I would pick books that are not only my favourites but are also light reads. Of course, I would hunger for books that made me think or made me cry. But if I am to read the same five books over and over again, the least I could do is get a laugh or a little thrill out of it.
1. The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams – I laugh till I have tears in my eyes whenever I read this book.
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – A book that is such a perennial favourite of mine (I have re-read it at least half a dozen times!) that I am actually afraid to review it lest I shouldn’t be able to do justice to it.
3. Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories by Agatha Christie – I love short stories, mystery is my favourite genre and Miss Marple is my favourite detective from my favourite author Agatha Christie. Do I need to say any more?
4. Cards on the Table by Agatha Christie – A man murdered in full view of at least four witnesses. One of my absolute favourite ‘impossible’ mysteries.
5. Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories by Agatha Christie – Although I prefer Miss Marple to Poirot, the sheer volume of this book makes me want to pick it. I am reading only five books so might as well make at least one of them a gigantic one!