This week’s Booking Through Thursday asks:
“If you had to pick only 5 books to read ever again, what would they be and why?’
(Such a cruel question!)”
Oh boy! This is one of my worst nightmares come true!
Okay so I think I would pick books that are not only my favourites but are also light reads. Of course, I would hunger for books that made me think or made me cry. But if I am to read the same five books over and over again, the least I could do is get a laugh or a little thrill out of it.
1. The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams – I laugh till I have tears in my eyes whenever I read this book.
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – A book that is such a perennial favourite of mine (I have re-read it at least half a dozen times!) that I am actually afraid to review it lest I shouldn’t be able to do justice to it.
3. Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories by Agatha Christie – I love short stories, mystery is my favourite genre and Miss Marple is my favourite detective from my favourite author Agatha Christie. Do I need to say any more?
4. Cards on the Table by Agatha Christie – A man murdered in full view of at least four witnesses. One of my absolute favourite ‘impossible’ mysteries.
5. Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories by Agatha Christie – Although I prefer Miss Marple to Poirot, the sheer volume of this book makes me want to pick it. I am reading only five books so might as well make at least one of them a gigantic one!
Lemme guess… you like Agatha Christie?!
I haven’t read any of her books, although I probably shouldn’t tell you that. Great job answering such a difficult question. Yikes!!!
Well yeah. Everyone around here knows that. 😉
Oh, good choices. Here’s mine:
Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog!
Good list. I am not much of a fan of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix but I guess all of us have our own favourite Potter book. 🙂
Pride and Prejudice is a great choice 🙂
Oooh, Hitchhiker’s Guide—well-played! An excellent choice for the Top 5 picks. I had a science fiction title on my list as well (called “The Stories of Ibis”, which is not exactly humour, but offers some interesting food for thought). Thanks for sharing your picks!
You’re welcome! The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is a book where I find something new every time I read. Love it!
Nice list, Pride & Prejudice was on mine too.
Yay for Pride and Prejudice! 🙂
Here is my BTT: Only Five post!
These are good choices…yes, I think variety is important. Here’s MY THURSDAY MEMES POST
I am not that big on variety. I am more into comfort and familiarity. But that’s me! 🙂
Darn I should have chosen Pride and Prejudice too, it was just so hard picking. I’ve never read anything by Agatha Christie, but I’ve heard good things. Here’s my BTT.
Cathy @ Addicted to Books
Hi! thanks for visiting!
It was hard to pick just five! But picking Pride and Prejudice was a no-brainer.
Great choices! 🙂
My Booking Through Thursday post
Thank you! 🙂
Very interesting list.
Here is mine: http://jaynesbooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/booking-through-thursday-only-five.html
Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog! I am still having problem commenting on some Blogger hosted blogs. Yours is one of them. So I’ll just comment about your BTT post here. 🙂
Finally someone who loves the Classics! Anna Karenina and Les Miserables are both such sad books and Jane Eyre and East of Eden are kind of depressing too. But all of them are such great reads!
I love all of the Harry Potter books but the first two and the last two are my all time favourites!